Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Old Sayings and Wives' Tales

I have been waiting to share some of these old sayings for a long time because I think they are so cute and interesting (and some confusing).  I don't know how we got on the subject, but my grandma Carol Johnson told me some of these recently this year and I've been intrigued ever since.  So here they are, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

A few of these may be familiar, but my great grandma Grace Jensen was born in the year 1905 and lived to be 101 years old, so that just shows how long they have been around. 

Just thought I'd also share a picture of my mother's day gift to my mom.


If it rains on Monday, it will rain 3 days that week.




"If you sew on Sunday, you will rip out the stitches with your nose when you get to heaven!!"  (This meant that Sunday is a day of rest.) 


"Who does she think she is, the Queen of Sheeba?"  (I don't know where this came from, but my family even says this today.)


If the dog eats grass, it's going to rain.


If you drop a piece of silverware, that means company is coming.  The direction the fork is facing, is the direction that the company is coming from.


Throw salt over your right shoulder for good luck. 


If you spill the toothspicks or the broom tips over, that means company is coming.


Red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky in the morning, sailor's warning.


According to my mother, if my great grandma wanted to say that someone was fat, she would say, "My goodness that woman is stout!"


Instead of going to the bathroom, my great grandma would say, "I'm going to the biffy."


Yellow yellow, catch a fellow.


If the bride sees the groom before the ceremony on their wedding day, it will bring them bad luck.
 
 
 
-Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment